Methods of Treatment for Fungal Nails
It’s a beautiful July 4th weekend. You’re on the beach with friends walking on the warm sand, but you don’t want to take your shoes off. You finally do, revealing thick, yellow, flaking nails. What is with them?
You call the Millennium Podiatry to see Dr. Suzanne Levine at her first available appointment. Dr. Levine takes one look at your feet and tells you that you have toe nail fungal infection. She sees hundreds of nail fungal infections every year and they are becoming increasing more common.
HOW DO YOU GET FUNGAL NAILS?
- Unsterile manicure or pedicure.
- Walking barefoot in the gym, especially in the shower.
- Injuring your nail by ill fitting shoes, or stubbing your toe.
- Predisposing factors such as diabetes, chemotherapy.
HOW DO YOU REDUCE YOUR RISK OF INFECTION?
- Make sure the nail salon is clean.
- Make sure all equipment used is either disposable or sterilized in an autoclave (heat).
- Bring your own nail clippers, file, etc.
- Bring a small vial of bleach to add to the rinse water for the foot bath during cleaning.
- If diabetic keep your sugar under control.
- Wear proper fitting shoes and athletic wear.
HOW DO YOU TREAT YOUR FUNGAL NAILS?
- Antifungal nail polish or topical medication.
- Only slightly effective.
- Oral antifungal medication
- Very effective, but…
- …requires three to six months of treatment and…
- …you cannot consume alcohol while under treatment…
- …occasionally toxic to the liver.
LASER THERAPY: AT THE INSTITUTE BEAUTÉ THIS IS ONE OF THE SIGNATURE TREATMENTS DEVELOPED BY DR. SUZANNE LEVINE
- Treatment takes only a few seconds per toe.
- Treatment usually repeated in 4-6 weeks.
- Total 2 or 3 sessions
- Very effective
- With all treatments the results will first become apparent at the base of the nail.
- Finger nails take about 6-8 months to regrow.
- Toenails take about 8-12 months
DR. LEVINE’S ADVICE:
- Prevention is best
- If you have or get nail fungus laser treatment is best
- Come to the Millennium Podiatry if near New York.
- You’re feet will be glad you did.
- See you on the beach.